RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir -- Penzler, Kerry and MRT

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <Dave.Zeltserman@...> wrote:

    > Regardless of his moral code Walter Huff still had hope until the point where he committed murder, so did Frank & Cora. But once they committed the act, there's was nothing left for them except a slow spiral into the abyss, whether or not they might've kidded themselves otherwise.
    >
    > I also didn't take Walter Huff's motivation as lust for Phylis, or even the money, but more the challenge of being able to pull off the murder.

    I agree. He strikes me as an operator first and a susceptible male second. We may see him clearly as stupid, but he thought he was smart and was used to putting out an attitude of being in control. In the end, he was a sucker like the rest of us, but I bet that was no comfort to him. I do detect certain comical aspects under the surface of this story. If it weren't murder but some picturesque caper, you could make a funny story out of it (the late Westlake could, for certain).

    Best,

    mrt