RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir -- Penzler, Kerry and MRT

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Brian Thornton <bthorntonwriter@...> wrote:

    > Perhaps it comes down a sense of perspective, to literal point-of-view, if
    > you will.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > HAMLET- [snip] Hamlet's death at the end is tragedy of literally Shakespearean
    > proportions.

    Not to me. I never cared for him, he wasn't my friend and he didn't even do enough for me to like him. He died, so what? The tragedy business is tied to the expectation that involves dubious concepts such as "deserving", "salvation", "justice" and so on. If you apply a more inscrutable point of view to Hamlet, it's a very interesting story, but "tragic" strikes me as a moralistic adjective that doesn't tell me much.

    Best,

    mrt