Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir -- Penzler, Kerry and MRT

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Aug 2010

    Macbeth is noir because he kills to get to where he thinks he wants to be. R&J is tragedy because love should not be a crime. My two cents ...

    Sean Shapiro

    ________________________________ From: "gsp.schoo@MOT.com" <gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thu, August 12, 2010 5:01:47 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir -- Penzler, Kerry and MRT

      I take exactly the opposite track, Dave. If a moral line is crossed it's tragedy. There's an implied lesson. But in noir there's no alternative, no opportunity for redemption. Lets take Romeo & Julliette. At the end, the Prince sums up the errors of everyone's ways that led to the fatalities, encouraging better behaviour in the future. Macbeth could have avoided his end had he been less ambitious, Hamlet if he'd been more decisive. Those are tragedies. But if you believe R&J's young love is doomed regardless because love will never transcend tribalism, that's noir.

    Best, Kerry

    ----- Original Message ----- From: davezeltserman To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:51 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir -- Penzler, Kerry and MRT

    It has to has to be more than just a character being screwed, the character's actions have to contribute to them being screwed. A moral line has to be crossed that there's no turning back from. Otherwise, instead of noir it's tragedy.

    --Dave