RE: RARA-AVIS: "Noir Fiction Is About Losers, Not Private Eyes" Otto Penzler

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Aug 2010

    Penzler's take on it is certainly an apt one, though I'd argue with his conclusion:

    "The noir story with a happy ending has never been written, nor can it be. The lost and corrupt souls who populate these tales were doomed before we met them because of their hollow hearts and depraved sensibilities."

    While I like the tone and phrasing, and there is certainly an element(s) of truth behind his contention, I'd argue his conclusion is incorrect in suggesting a lack of happy ending is absolute. There have been many noir books that show the protagonist achieving some sense of success against the odds at the story's end. Yes, he may be battered and bruised and perhaps his methodology in reaching success was unorthodox and "depraved" -- but not every true noir work requires the protagonist's utter defeat.

    Ron C.

    Otto

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/otto-penzler/noir-fiction-is-about-los_b_67620 0.