Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dorchester goes digital and POD

From: Steve Gerlach (stezzariffic@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Aug 2010

    Kinda missed my whole point there, didn't you, MrT?

     SG

    ________________________________ From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed, 11 August, 2010 7:21:46 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dorchester goes digital and POD

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Gerlach <stezzariffic@...> wrote:

    > *We* may not understand it - but the kids do. The kindle, iPad iBooks whatever

    > IS the way of the future. Hell, even I prefer looking at PDFs on my iPad now
    > (but not books...) my kids would read everything on screen however.
    >
    > And, Dave, I too am baffled that you continue to buy cds. :)

    The future? Do you have any idea of the amount of energy that it takes to run the Internet, for example? And a view of the future that assumes that Amazon and Barnes and Noble are forever seems suspicious to me... as does a view that assumes that the question of digital preservation is easy. It is anything but easy, in fact, it's a nightmare. By contrast, keeping a book in a shelf is very easy, and it will normally keep for a long time.

    Best,

    mrt