RARA-AVIS: Re: Dorchester goes digital and POD

From: hardcasecrime (editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 07 Aug 2010

    > (Or he may be contractually locked out from commenting.)

    Nope. I'm free to comment.

    > Dorchester's choice to go all-digital, all-POD is probably
    > the harbinger of what we can expect to happen to the entire
    > publishing industry.

    I don't know -- that sounds a bit drastic to me. But who knows, you may be right. I like books. The physical objects. They mean something to me. But a previous generation probably really liked scrolls. They rolled up so neatly, y'know? And clay tablets surely had their fans.

    I would guess we won't see the utter end of books in our lifetime, but they'll dwindle for sure.

    I do think contracts are likely to change, though, to protect authors from the sort of rest-of-your-life land-grabs you describe.

    Charles