RARA-AVIS: Re: Language is . . .

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Aug 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "gsp.schoo@..." <gsp.schoo@...> wrote:

    > I'm no evangelical, but I dig it David. Funking around with noir has reminded me that man was made in the image of his God, and that what we have in common with creation is creativity. Language, the expression of thought, is the primary tool of human creativity and so I agree with Revelations: if ever we all get on the same page, life as we know it is over. But like you, I'm not worried. Even as the internet builds its neural networks seemingly toward one big mind, new languages/dialects spring up.

    The Internet is not that important... a modern, visual version of the telegraph. It will disappear. Let's not think that this era is very important just because we live in it. I don't believe humans were made or any of that, but the fact is, we have language. But language is not the same as thought -- and we can't get on the same page because nobody knows what anyone else is thinking...

    As for the future of forums such as this one, and of Internet "communication" in general... it doesn't look very good. People develop immunity, after which the great promise is just one more thing to junk up the mind and while away time.

    Best,

    mrt