RE: RARA-AVIS: Where have you gone Rara-Avis

From: Anders Engwall (anders.engwall@comhem.se)
Date: 14 Jul 2010

    Maybe everyone was busy watching the World Cup? The final was certainly hardboiled (the Dutch were BRUTAL), but since the nice guys eventually won I guess it cannot be said to have been noir.

    Now reading: Ed McBain - The Con Man. Only read this in translation before. I tend to forget from time to time just how great the 87th series was. Someday I'm going to go on a binge and read them all in chronological order. This cannot be recommended enough.

    Just read: Harry Whittington - Play for Keeps, in a 1959 Swedish translation. Typical 50s fare - innocent guy is framed for murder he did not commit - yet I kept on reading as if I had never read anything like it before. That's Harry Whittington for you, and it might just have something to do with the art of storytelling. Grab it if you see it.