RARA-AVIS: Re: akashic noir

From: davidcorbett622 (davidcorbettauthor@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Jul 2010

    I'm taking Havana Noir along for my July 4th reading (along with Misha Glenny's McMafia and Jess Walter's The Zero (started it last night, loved what I've read so far -- Citizen Vince was a gas).

    Overall, I think the Akashic anthologies have been pretty strong. I've had stories in three of them, so this may sound like self-promotion, but it's not. The contributors have always included people I've never read before and whose work I found strong, intriguing, different.

    Most interesting: the Edgar for Best Short Story has twice gone to Akashic Noir contributors -- and from the lit realm, not the crime realm: Susan Straight from LA Noir and Luis Alberto Urrea from Phoenix Noir. As one who feels a particular loathing for the phrase "transcends the genre," I find this interesting. And humbling.

    David Corbett www.davidcorbett.com