RARA-AVIS: Novel ID query:

From: Todd Mason (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Jul 2010

    From the librarian-heavy Fiction-L:

    A patron came in yesterday with this plotline, but no memory of Title or Author. This is how she described it: An old book, read in teens (almost 30 yrs ago) about a man unhappy with his life, (his girlfriend, a menial job?) An opportunity to start a new life as someone else occurs when he is involved in a subway or train crash (I think the setting was a city, like Philadelphia in 50's or 60's) and changes clothes and identity with a deceased accident victim. He is successful in changing his identity until he runs into people who knew him from the past and he ends up killing one person after another to protect his identity. I don't remember the ending- hence the reason I'd like to read this book again. I think it may have been an African American author. I have tried literary resources such as Novellist and also Google to try to figure it out to no avail.

    --Thanks on behalf of a potentially happified library patron

    Todd Mason