RE: RARA-AVIS: Admin: Well, these Brewer openings are pretty peripheral to Rara-Avis's subject

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 30 May 2010

    I'm not offended, nor do I think it's peripheral at all...any post that offers added information on valued writer's listed body of work seems more than appropriate to me.

    Having said that, I'd never want to read them. Seeing a writer of Brewer's talent -- a talent that was so vividly on display in the '50s and '60s -- sinking to such lows in his last few years of life, incoherent and bitter at his desperate lot in life, drinking himself to death as he tried to make enough just to subsist by churning out softcore porn...I just don't have any interest in that visiting that pain. Brewer should have had a much better end his life; a writer of his talent deserved better.

    I see the euphemistic/sleaze pbos of Block and Westlake considerably different. They're authors who did that material early in their career, writing books that most would find quite mild, even charming, by today's standards. They then transcended that stage of their career, and went upward and onward to become masters of their genre. It's interesting and entertaining to revisit these earlier works, to understand their humble roots, so to speak, and appreciate the phenomenal growth and maturation of their talent.

    Brewer, though, followed a very different route, with a career that trended downward, climaxing (if you'll excuse the pun) into penning whack-off books and a few other pseudonymous works-for-hire, all of which belied the writer who burned so brightly in the two decades before.

    I'd prefer to remember Brewer as the writer he was, not the one he became.

    Ron C.

    Brewer is a
    > major contributor to the genres the list is built on, so anything he wrote
    is of interest
    > in filling out our picture of him as a writer, no different from David
    Goodis's air
    > warfare stories, Fredric Brown's horror or sci-fi writing, various
    authors' work in the
    > western field, etc, all of which have been discussed here. As has the
    > pseudonymous soft porn work of Lawrence Block, Donald Westlake and others.
    So