RARA-AVIS: Re: Westlake's Memory

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "hardcasecrime" <editor@...> wrote:

    > > Did he leave behind an outline as well?
    >
    > I don't know this for sure, but it would amaze me if he did. He was not
    > one to outline, and it's not like he knew he was about to die.
    >
    > That doesn't mean another author couldn't be brought in to finish the
    > book, and any of the ones people have named would have no problem
    > working without an outline. But so little of the book exists that it
    > would really be like writing a book from scratch (not unlike Parker's
    > POODLE SPRINGS, which had only a chapter or two as a starting point).

    I think Parker did a good job with that novel. No matter what he did, he was going to catch a fair amount of flak...

    And while we are talking about Westlake let me thank Charles for republishing hard to find and long out of print novels by Westlake. It's a great gift to us hardboiled fans.

    More about Westlake: I have been rereading the "late" Parkers, most recently Ask the Parrot, and thoroughly enjoying them. I do like the later Parker, running for his life and not controlling the situation as much as he used to do.

    Best,

    mrt