RARA-AVIS: Re: JUSTIFIED

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Mar 2010

    Those of you who haven't read it yet, might want check out Leonard's Raylon Givens short story, "Fire in the Hole," on which the pilot episode was based.  You can find it here:

    http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780060586164

    or, if you prefer to read it in an actual book (as I do), in Leonard's short story collection WHEN THE WOMEN COME OUT TO DANCE.

    The teleplay was generally quite faithful, but there was a major change in the ending.

    And, if I might be permitted a bit of shameless self-promotion, check out my "I Like 'Em Tough" column from a year or so ago, "THE (hard-b)O(i)L(e)D WEST," about the many writers who write both westerns and hard-boiled crime fiction. I wrote it right after Elmore Leonard's being chosen as the recipient of the Western Writers of America's Lifetime Achievement Award, the Owen Wister Award, was announced.

    You can find it here:

    http://mystericale.com/index.php?issue=091&body=file&file=like_em_tough.htm

    JIM DOHERTY

    JIM DOHERTY