RARA-AVIS: Re: W.R. Burnett

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 20 Mar 2010

    Burnett is OK. I don't really find him to be anything special but he obviously gets some love here at Rara Avis. I haven't read him in ages, so maybe I should give him another shot.

    Daly is definitely a very crude writer. But he pretty much created the flavor and I would say that some of the early Op stories....."One Hour" comes to mind.....are almost slavish imitations of Daly. While recognizing the guy's limitations, I would probably prefer to read a Race Williams story over, say, a Robert Leslie Bellem piece.

    James