RARA-AVIS: for male novelists ...

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 15 Mar 2010

    http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat ...

    ... had an interview overnight with Dr. Kenneth Atchity of AEI, who is a Yale graduate and Intellectual Property brand manager and producer of such films as the forthcoming Jim Carrey film, Ripley's Believe It or Not.

    "In this interview, he shares with us why his company has shifted focus to building brands rather than individual titles and why he's looking for the next Ann Rice."

    He is asked, "What's hot now, what are editors looking for? And what type of manuscripts and proposals are you currently looking for that you never seem to get?"

    Editors are looking for thrillers, romance, action, and compelling storytelling of all kinds. That hasn't changed. That's what we're looking for. Especially in the Young Adult arena, especially stories written by women for women. It's such a tough market for male novelists I urge nearly every unpublished male author to publish through an entrepreneurial publisher until the majors beat a door in his path.

    Most of all what I'm looking for is a new BRAND to launch the next Sue Grafton, the next Ann Rice, the next Chicken Soup.

    (We're doomed, I tell you. Doomed.)