RARA-AVIS: Re: big-business vs. artisanal publishing

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2010

    And accelerating into the 80s and 90s, which is when I think of the mainline publishers being absorbed into the megacorporations. Here's a sampling of this:

    Holt: bought by Holtzbrinck Publishing Group in 1985 TOR: acquired by St. Martin's in 1986, St.Martin;s acquired by Holtzbrinck in the 90s Farrar, Straus and Giroux acquired by Holtzbrinck in 1993 Macmillan acquired by Holtzbrinck in 1995 Harcourt Brace & Company acquired by General Cinema Corporation in 1991 (then to Reed Elsevier in 2001 and then to Houghton Mifflin Riverdeep Group in 2007) William Morrow to Hearst Corporation in 1981 and News Corporation (Rupert Murdock) in 1999 HarperCollins acquired by News Corporation in 1989 I think Mysterious Press was acquired by Warner Books in the mid 80s

    --Dave