RARA-AVIS: Re: NYC Publishing & Noir

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2010

    Sandra, I wish I could remember where I read this. I think it was on Salon as part of the aftermath of the James Patterson NY Times article from a few weeks back, but I'm not positive. Anyway, it was a fascinating article about both the changes to the publishing world due to publishers being swallowed up by the large conglomerations, and more, how dependent these publishers got with the large retailers, and how it created more of a blockbuster mentality with these publishers as they chased after limited floor space with these retailers as they needed them to create these blockbusters. From this article and others I read it was pretty clear the publishing business changed dramatically at its core. A lot of this stuff is anecdotal but you can see many of the biggest sellers today were given time to develop--James Ellroy, for example, didn't start selling big until I think his 7th book, and it also took Michael Connelly a number of books before he caught on (I heard him recently say that it wasn't until the movie Blood Works came out that he could quit his day job). I know too many very good writers now who are being dropped after their 1st book because these books didn't meet expectations which they had no chance of meeting since they weren't being given the marketing push necessary to meet these expectations. So yes, this is anecdotal about writers being carried more in the past and given more time to find a readership than writers today, but it sure seems that way from what I've heard and what I'm now seeing.

    About your contention about John McFetridge probably being better served if he had gone with a good independent (like Tyrus/Bleak House) instead of one of large NY houses, I agree with you that this is probably true for most new writers. Many of the good independent houses act the way the larger NY houses use to act--giving writers a chance to keep publishing and developing a readership. Now it almost seems as if NY has this insatiable demand for debut writers, but they spit them out after one book if they don't miraculously break out and meet unrealistic expectations, and the damage being done to these writers is significant.

    A lot of my posts here on this subject is really me trying to come to grips and better understand how these NY houses and today's publishing works (even if it may not sound that way). The reality is I consider myself incredibly lucky that I ended up with Serpent's Tail instead of one of the corporate NY houses. With the type of stuff I write, if I ended up in NY instead, my writing career probably would've been over after 1 book (although maybe that would've been a blessing!), but being with Serpent's Tail and Overlook Press, I have a chance to hang around for a while and at least have a shot at developing a readership.

    --Dave