RARA-AVIS: Re: Small Crimes

From: New Pulp Press (bassoffj@gmail.com)
Date: 12 Mar 2010

    Dave, I tend to agree with you about the nature of noir and the gap between New York publishers and indy publishers. There are certainly a handful of indy presses who put out true noir novels (hell New Pulp Press only puts out dark, bleak books) but the readership/distribution is limited. While one of our titles, The Disassembled Man, is nearing 600 copies sold, most of our books, including the Gil Brewer reissue, are lucky to sell a couple hundred copies and only a handful of bookstores carry our books consistently. The question: is it lack of demand or just lack of distribution/marketing? I tend to believe that the demand is there but not enough for the NY publishers to bother with. NY publishers have no use for a niche readership, even if the niche is a fairly big one like noir fiction. The good news is that the dark books we crave are out there, you just have to poke around a bit...

    Jon Bassoff New Pulp Press