Re: RARA-AVIS: Sadism

From: Michael Jeter (michael.damian.jeter@gmail.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2010

    I had two thoughts, both probably oversimplified: The first:

    ¨Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean... He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor.¨

    Perhaps, in general, our heroes see torture as a mean, petty, dishonorable thing used by lesser beings.

    And while I understand that many of you do not care for the modern practice of giving a psychological background/backstory to characters, and even fewer of you care for Burke, I think of that character who Vachss draws as an abused child who tries to break the pattern.- having experienced abuse/torture, the character avoids doing so himself.

    My .02 cents.

    --
    Michael Damian Jeter
    New Orleans, LA