Re: RARA-AVIS: They won't have Parker to kick around anymore...

From: Robin Richmond (mingbooks@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2010

    Do you have to dwell on the fact that Anne Perry murdered as a young child.Judge her books on her writing. Robin Richmond  and Paula Taylor

    Ming Books Wigtown Scotland

    Web site http://www.mingbooks.co.uk
                  http://www.mingbooks.pbwiki.com

    info@mingbooks.co.uk mingbooks@yahoo.com

    telephone 01988403241      mobile 07721007968

    Beechwood Acre Place Wigtown DG8 9DU SCOTLAND    also in Rahway New Jersey  USA

    twenty seven years in business 1982-2009

    member  District of Wigtown Chamber of Commerce

    Wants lists very welcome

    ________________________________ From: Patrick King <abrasax93@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sat, January 23, 2010 7:55:24 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: They won't have Parker to kick around anymore...

      Killer On The Road was so persuasive that I felt as though I needed to take a shower for days after I read it.

    Has anyone here ever read an Anne Perry? I've never been able to bring myself to read one, but I confess to a certain curiosity as to how a real, live murderess writes about murder.

    I've read several of Perry's Monk stories and absolutely loved A SUDDEN FEARFUL DEATH. I find the others a little too cozy for me. Monk's amnesia is a bit precious, and Esther's unswerving integrity tends to pall. But Perry's historical accuracy is notable. The atmosphere of all her novels is on par with Doyle's, and the crimes she writes about are often chilling.

    There's an interesting interview with her on YouTube in which she speaks very candidly about the murder she committed. I don't see too much of the murderess in her books, which are detective stories. Certainly nothing like you see in early Ellroy. Ann Perry is a very skillful author with an unusual gift for capturing an era that is not her own.

    Patrick King