RARA-AVIS: Re: Spenser references in other author's work (was: They won't have Parker...)

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, mojohand@... wrote:

    > And in one of George V. Higgins' (there was a guy, as prolific as Parker, but who got *better* as he aged. I've almost all his published work in HC, and have never quite forgiven the inconsiderate bastard for up and dying on me.) novels (Kennedy for the Defense?) Jerry Kennedy complains that while there's a local PI named Spenser who's pretty good, he has a tendency to light off to somewhere like London on a crusade and you can't count on him to stick to the job at hand.

    After rereading (and being once again stunned by) The Friends of Eddie Coyle, I am going to reread other novels by Higgins. As I recall, the later work gets more and more complex, not the easiest reading but very good stuff nevertheless. I especially like his treatment of corrupt officials and politicians...

    Best,

    mrt