Re: willeford RE: RARA-AVIS: recent reads

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2010

    When I say "good style", which I usually don't, I am referring to an author who is very economical, very evocative, and very ,very precise (almost lawyerly) in their meaning. My exhibits would be Gibbon, Johnson, Austen and Chesterton. Perhaps they are indigestible and long-winded.

    I wouldn't call any of those writers "indigestible." They're all easier to comprehend than Faulkner or Joyce or even Ellroy most of the time. Ellroy is usually very "economical" with words but not necessarily with pages.

    Patrick King