Re: RARA-AVIS: They won't have Parker to kick around anymore...

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jan 2010

    Perhaps Parker confused his facility for writing with a talent commensurable with that of Hammett... What I don't understand is why Parker would adopt the Chandlerian simile farce... it worked for Chandler, but nobody else has been able to make it work nearly as well, not even Howard Browne. And Ross Macdonald dropped the simile schtick after a while, when he came into his own voice, which is sober, not exuberant like Chandler's.

    Anyway, let's not roast Parker over the coals for bragging... What would we do with Ellroy, then?

    Best,

    mrt