RARA-AVIS: Re: They won't have Parker to kick around anymore...

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Dauer <anthony.dauer@...> wrote:

    > There is no greater goal in literature than to be read. We can answer
    > the meaning of life and it will have no value if no one reads it.

    We don't really know what other people's "goals" are. Does life function by "goals"? Does our mind, which is the point when we're talking about art? My point is that somebody can achieve the goal of being widely read without being very good, or by being less good than people who have many fewer readers.

    You put up Pearl Buck against Franz Kafka (since he was mentioned), and where are we?

    Best,

    mrt