Re: RARA-AVIS: Ross MacDonald--the Two Faces

From: phred deVecca (frogprod@rcn.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2010

    There is a funny line in the film THE PLAYER where the Tim Robins character ( a movie producer) says to another character that he's late for his AA meeting and the other guy says "I didn't know you had a drinking problem" and Robbins replies "I don't but that's where all the deals are made these days'

    <I have been to several AA meetings with a friend who goes to them to meet women. I did pick up a woman at one of these things but it was disastrous. I can take a drink when I want to, while her 'religion' is don't drink under any circumstances. It was kind of a one-night-stand with several preachy follow-up conversations. Bars work better for me as meeting places than AA meetings do. I'm confident that Lawrence Block has a first-hand source on this type of mentality... another reason his books bore the hell out of me.

    Patrick King