RARA-AVIS: Re: Ross MacDonald--the Two Faces

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2010

    I think Ross Macdonald's fiction evolved, not necessarily the way hardboiled fans would have wanted it to evolve, but it did. I think the books got more and more predictable, though they are all good reads, at least for me. I don't find the later books so much preachy as glum, tired, but still good. He did want to make certain points, that is true. Perhaps he did underline too much. But when I pick up one of those novels, I don't stop, I read it from cover to cover. That's a sign that the author did something right...

    Best,

    mrt