RARA-AVIS: Re: Ed McBain

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

    > Your loss. He's ten times the writer Block was at Block's best.
    >
    > Patrick King

    I don't want to compare two good writers, but Evan Hunter had a very broad palette, he wrote about all kinds of things, not just crime. In particular, he was an outstanding short-story writer, stories without gimmicks, stories about people. I don't really think of him as a mystery writer, in fact. His mastery of characterization was impressive.

    There is an old story of his about two youngish couples who live next to one another in some run-down apartment house, around New Year's Eve, it's one of the great American stories. Can't recall the title right now. I am talking about real emotion, not some slick narrative that merely sounds good.

    Kid