RARA-AVIS: Re: possibly the biggest publishing story of the year

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <Dave.Zeltserman@...> wrote:

    > good luck with that. The writers we're reading today (except for the huge names) won't be writing books since there won't be any money in it--we'll all be trying to get TV or movie gigs...
    >
    > Seriously, this future world (if it happens) will be filled with so much hype as desperate writers will be begging readers to try their books, that it will be near impossible to cut through the hype to find anything good.

    That's the main point. No money in it. Add this to the fact that people have gotten used to the idea that everything artistic should be free, and you have a grim picture. One of my interests, classical music, is surviving because certain countries subsidize it. it's the only way for young musicians to be heard, not to mention ones who are not so young...

    If I may extend the idea a bit further, the system has fucked with the world to a point where you either work within it, i.e., obey, or you're out. I don't think it's a dystopian view but a realistic one. And the absurdity is compounded by the fact that in many cases civil society is avidly adopting things that will lead to its impoverishment, if not its moral destruction. A huge web of complexity laid over a human fabric that is more or less the same as it was since humans are humans. The fabric is visibly torn, it wasn't meant to function under such complexity.

    Merry Christmas!

    mrt