RARA-AVIS: Dick Francis recur'g char's: TV [was: has this been doen before?]

From: DCG (damncrazygringo@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Dec 2009

    My sister-in-law is the Dick Francis addict.
      Only direct DF experience is Ian McShane's TV performances as "David Cleveland" in the TV-movies TWICE SHY, BLOOD SPORT, and IN THE FRAME (all 89, apparently) --- but Cleveland wasn't recurring in book-form (indeed, his only appearance in papyrus seems to be SLAYRIDE); this TV character replaced whichever POV was in the book versions of the titles aired. General consensus seems to be that these are, at best, Failed Experiments; at worst, abominations.
      Mike Gwilym portrayed "Sid Halley" in 6 episodes of THE DICK FRANCIS THRILLER: THE RACING GAME (1979-1980). IMDB only names episodes "Odds Against" (79) and "Needle" (80), but I bet there's more info out there.
    (There was also a Theatrical Film, DEAD CERT (74), but the query was about recurring characters, iirc, and this was a stand-alone.)
      FYI, DCG.