RARA-AVIS: Re: newton thornburg

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Dec 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <Dave.Zeltserman@...> wrote:

    > More gut-wrenching than "I Was Dora Suarez"??
    >
    > --Dave

    Yes. The description of a father having just buried a son is one of the most beautiful things I have read in crime fiction (any fiction, for that matter), and it is gut-wrenching. The great thing about Newton Thornburg is that he never comes across as striking a pose, or trying to sound writerly or ultrahardboiled or hip. He writes very strong stuff in a natural way, a sign of a blue-blood writer. There are thousands of guys putting out attitude, but often the best literature comes not out of attitude but out of experience, it's lived-in literature, so to speak.

    Best,

    mrt