RARA-AVIS: You Can't Judge A Book ...?

From: David Wilson (boiledoverbooksn@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Dec 2009

    This is really analogous to the plight of a film-viewer who has to wade through some terrible movies in order to see a turn by one of their favorite character actors. In my case, it's biding my time until a great stunt appears in an otherwise forgettable film. And as far as being off-topic, I find little separation between writing about the world of stunt performers and the craft of noir and hardboiled.

    Viewers can discover their own level of delight in a masterpiece. Does anyone remember Peter Sellers cutting out one particular eye from a Rembrandt painting in The Magic Christian? This is coming from dim memory, but I think I've got it right. So celebrate the cover, the soundtrack, the stunt, the trembles of an Elisha Cook, it all works together or apart. It's a great world.

    David Laurence Wilson