Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harlequin

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Dec 2009

    Seven in a row!  How can you do that? Stolen Woman is great, with that classic Gold Medal South-of-the-Border noir atmosphere. Devil May Care was their first Gold Medal and is a painfully suspenseful pulp thriller.  The protagonist is named Biggo Venn (Big Oven!?) who gets mentioned in a couple of the other Miller Gold Medals. I like that book more than anyone else, so I probably shouldn't hype it up too much. If you have the Max Thursday novel Uneasy Street you're in for a treat-- it's set between the evening of December 23rd and the very early morning of December 25th.  It would make excellent Holiday reading.

    John

    ________________________________ From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wed, December 2, 2009 4:11:48 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harlequin

    --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, "J.C. Hocking" <jchocking@. ..> wrote:

    > Which Wade Miller titles have you been reading?

    I've read seven in a row, some I had never read and others I had forgotten about, so they all counted as new reads. The most recent one I read is Stolen Woman, a noir melodrama set in Mexicali that would make Jim Thompson proud. Wade and Miller were evidently on the same wavelength as Thompson and other noir writers, and their writing is top-notch, which doesn't hurt at all... I have lined up a bunch of Max Thursdays for the coming weeks. I am also digging up several titles by Lionel White, another old favorite that I hadn't revisited in a long time.

    I think I have read Devil May Care, but don't remember much about it. I haven't found it yet in the boxes I'm searching.

    Best,

    mrt