RARA-AVIS: Padding + revising + JDM

From: Harry Joseph Lerner (harry.joseph.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: 29 Nov 2009

    Hello All,

    In an attempt to tie together two current threads (padding & revising), at least in my own mind, I pose the following question re: JDM...

    I recently read ALL THESE CONDEMNED and though not a hefty tome by any standard, JDM does spend at least as much time on each character's background as on the main event of the story. There is a fine line between effective character development and distracting diatribe. Anyone have an opinion about ALL THESE CONDEMNED re: JDM's success or failure at walking this line? Even though it is less than 200 pages, is it 'padded' and thus could have used some 'revising', or did JDM pull off something of a literary tightrope-walking act?

    Best, Harry