RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:

    > That's true, but it also applies to traditional publishing. You might be
    > surprised how many titles from big NY publishers sell in the low hundreds.

    This, to my mind, points to a substantial reduction in the number of real readers (not people who can theoretically read, but people who read regularly). The Spanish publishing industry, which is huge, is grappling with this phenomenon. Selling five thousand copies is considered a huge success these days, according to what I hear. That is, for a reading market of 400 million people! Most authors, of course, have a serious day job, either as journalists or in other jobs.

    So it's not particularly a US phenomenon, it's worldwide.

    Best,

    mrt