Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Burke

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2009

    Lahane's first book, A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR, was god awful; absurd premise, ridiculously violent, comic book deep characters, Bubba for example, and yet it won at least one award. Had I read A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR first, I doubt that, as a reader, I'd bother with Lehane. His subsequent books have been very good. I read David Peace's 1984 and found it so inane I doubt I'll give him a second chance. But previous posts indicate others think he's on a par with Ellroy. To my mind Ellroy is in a class by himself among fiction writers much less crime writers. To say David Peace is a mediocre talent is to pay him a great compliment on my reading of 1984. Obviously, others are less demanding.

    Patrick King