RARA-AVIS: Re: Review of "Best American Mystery Stories 2009"

From: K. Elisabeth Johnson (prosperena@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Nov 2009

    > It feels actually like a funny and intersting review and I saved it for Iım
    > very interested by some of the stories...and will welcome any further
    > comments about any story mentioned by any Rara-Avians...since I have not
    > read any of those...

    I have not read any of these stories, either, and, like you, am hoping for some input on them from fellow readers.

    The Weekly Standard often has interesting and useful book reviews and unless the subject of a book is a political one I think most of us would not find they have an ideological slant to them. I think we can read reviews from TWS or The Nation, whatever, and make up our own minds, n'est-ce pas?

    For example, the Weekly Standard had several interesting articles on the bicentennial of Edgar Allan Poe, who made the cover of the 19 September 2009 issue (Vol. 015, Issue 02), including a good one by Shawn Macomber on which American city Poe can really claim Poe as its own:

    Home at Last: which metropolis may claim the peripatetic Poe?

    Kari