Re: RARA-AVIS: kindle query

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 05 Nov 2009

    Bookstores have been struggling for a long time though, Dave. I'd blame silly discounting and a saturated market and too many publishers all chasing the same titles and a global financial crisis before I'd look to e-books. Latest reliable figures I saw had e-books accounting for 4% of current book sales. And if e-books didn't exist, who's to say that those 4% of purchasers would buy hard copies of these titles anyway (and indeed would print versions of these titles even be available)? The way I see it, it's not necessarily a case of one or the other. E-books create an additional revenue stream for authors, they keep books in print, and the sort of people who buy new hardcovers will still buy new hardcovers. And those who buy mass market paperbacks will still do so too, because the electronic versions are more expensive.

    Also, publishers do a lot more than just distribute than print. If that's all they do, there'd be nothing to stop Stephen and Stephanie self-publishing in print format right now. Doubt they'd have any problems whatsoever getting distribution and a printer. And one other thing: Amazon take 65% of the retail price of the book if you're independently publishing for the Kindle. That's nowhere near as much as a publisher, but it's a pretty big chunk nonetheless.

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "davezeltserman" <Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com>