Re: RARA-AVIS: kindle query

From: Poul Wehner (poul.wehner@gmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2009

    " He swears by it. Buys ten books at a time."

    Wrong, He buys a license for 10 books.

    There have already been more than a handful of DRM companies/services that have gone belly up and any media attached to these became useless. I'm not familiar with the licensing details but I believe Amazon will only allow a limited number of downloads and, once reached, whatever book in question has to be re-purchased. I'm a little amazed that people who who buy into DRM'd media apparently do not consider the full implications.

    But aside from the DRM crap I don't understand the motivation of why would someone pay nearly $300 for a device and then pay even more to use it. I'm not surprised that media companies are extremely interested in moving from selling products to merely licensing them.

    I'll never buy one. I'd rather own my books, cds,& dvds outright rather than pay a fee for ephemeral bits and merely 'think' I own it.

    I probably swimming upstream on this. I work in higher-ed and I believe in a few years time many textbooks will be delivered digitally and likely at cheaper prices.