Re: RARA-AVIS: 1940s British Crime/Noir Titles

From: Nigel Algar (montana@dircon.co.uk)
Date: 02 Nov 2009

    I'm not familiar with Wyndham Martyn, but can warmly recommend the work of James Curtis, Gerald Butler, Robert Westerby, Patrick Hamilton and Gerald Kersh. Most are periodically rediscovered (it must be Gerald Butler's turn soon) and even if all their books are not necessarily criminous they have in common an engaging seediness and exude a bleak, if not noir, atmosphere.

    Nigel