RARA-AVIS: Frederic Brown

From: Eric Chambers (nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 01 Nov 2009

    "jacquesdebierue" jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com wrote;-

    >Just reread a couple of his old novels, Murder Can Be Fun and The Screaming Mimi. >Great stuff, very entertaining and suspenseful. And the amount of liquor consumed is >absolutely incredible. You can get drunk just by reading about it!

      Consuming copious amounts of alcohol was apparently a standard feature of the genre in the earlier decades of the last century.
      I've just finished a Johnathan Latimer of the same vintage. Grear book. However, Crane and his buds seem to drink a bottle of scotch every seccond or third page.  Apparently that defined the characters as cool manly guys back then. It was the same on TV in the fifties and into the 60's where 2 people couldn't apparently talk together to each other in a room without pouring drinks.

    Eric

          __________________________________________________________________________________ Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/