RARA-AVIS: John D. MacDonald

From: Bill Crider (macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 21 Oct 2009

    After reading through the posts on JDM, I started thinking about when I began reading his books. I'm pretty sure it was long, long ago, when a friend of mine told me he'd just read a hilarious SF novel. I was reading a lot of SF at that time, 50 years or so ago, and my friend never read any at all. I was surprised he'd read anything in that genre, so I borrowed his copy of THE GIRL, THE GOLD WATCH & EVERYTHING. After that, I was pretty much hooked. I read everything I could find by MacDonald from that day forward.

    My obsession with collecting paperbacks began when I realized that MacDonald's books didn't come out in hardcover. I started grabbing all the first printings of his books I could find. In the mid- to late 1960s, one of the first fanzines I ever subscribed to was Len and June Moffatt's excellent THE JDM BIBLIOPHILE. I missed the first issue, but I got the second and subscribed at once. (Assuming that someone in the Texas A&M library hasn't shredded them, that's where my copies now reside.) My missives appeared in the letter column regularly.

    So I owe a lot to JDM and his books. I haven't reread any within the last few years, but I remember them all with affection. I realize that a lot of people on this list don't like them, and I can see their faults, but I'm still a fan.

    Bill Crider