Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: John D.

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 19 Oct 2009

    Well, first of all let me say that I got pretty tired of detective stories some time ago, so that kind of knocks a lot of Leonard out for me ( I like his old westerns better). That's not a slam on folks who love detective stories, by the way, I just have read enough of them. I think I liked them less after I started practicing law and got to know more cops and P.I.s. I like Thompson more every time I pick one up, though.

    I love the amoral creep in High Priest precisely because he may be so un-selfaware. And are you really sure that he doesn't know what a creep he is? I think he maybe does, but I'm not sure - and I love that level of ambiguity and irony. Besides, no one trumps Thompson when it comes to "paens to sociopaths". How can you slag Willeford and praise Nothing More Than Murder or Pop. 1280? For me, Willford is like Thompson on steroids though I will allow that Thompson is actually the better writer - usually.

    I think I know where you're coming from, though. As a rule, I take the side against amoral stories. But Willeford, for me, demonstrates the great skill that pulls a story like that through.

    James