RARA-AVIS: Actors and Parts

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2009

    About Jim Doherty's comment: "An actor can be truly excellent at his craft without that excellence making him perfect for any part."

    Absolutely true.

    But I still don't buy the conclusion that Leonardo DiCaprio doesn't fit the part because he doesn't look like McGee.

    Off hand, I can't think of anyone who in my mind "looks like McGee," except maybe Darrin McGavin who looks like McGee for having set his voice set in my mind for the many audio McGees that I listened too. (But a dead Darrin McGavin ain't likely to get the part.)

    I am not "pushing for" DiCaprio and, objectively, I don't see him as McGee, but since there are so few fans of McGee relative to the potential viewers of a movie featuring McGee, that If it is done well, the actor whether DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck or whoever, will be the image of McGee for a good while to come.

    Actually, Jim and eye agree on a lot of stuff ... just not on everything.

    Jack

    http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis