Re: RARA-AVIS: Back to basics...

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 09 Oct 2009

    Jeff,

    Good and merci...

    I don’t understand your comment on ‘oodles’...why wouldn’t it apply to hardboile fiction?...Am I thick here...?...is it because of the expression
    ‘oodles of noodles’...I’m sure, somebody, somewhere, in some book was killed/mangled...by noodles...???...

    This is what I found in : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/oodles Noun 1. oodles - a large number or amount;
    "made lots of new friends"; "she amassed stacks of newspapers" dozens, gobs, heaps, lashings, loads, lots, rafts, scads, scores, slews, stacks, tons, wads, piles large indefinite amount, large indefinite quantity - an indefinite quantity that is above the average in size or magnitude translation: n oodles [ˈuːdlz] french
    (plural) (slang) plenty (of); lots (of) hamburger with oodles of ketchup; We had oodles of fun. un tas

    Montois in ‘heaps’ of perplexity...??!!