Re: RARA-AVIS: Man in Love with Murdered Woman? Need Examples

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Oct 2009

    OK, Avians, I'm working on an article and looking for books and films in which a man falls for and/or becomes sexually obsessed with a murdered stranger AFTER her death. For example LAURA (even though she turns out to be alive after all) or Ellroy's BLACK DAHLIA. Ideally, I need a few contemporary examples but older stuff would help too.

    Also, can anyone think of an example of the opposite? A woman who falls for a murdered stranger after his death?

    Daphne Du Maurier's REBECCA and its film by the same title by Alfred Hitchcock come immediately to mind. Also Ellroy's autobiography, MY DARK PLACES, recounts his obsession with his murdered mother in great detail. One of the best in present time is Scott Spencer's 1986 novel, WAKING THE DEAD, the obsession of a politician for a hippie girl he loved in the 1960s who was killed in a radical bombing back in the day. In 2000, this was also made into a good movie with Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly.

    Patrick King