Re: RARA-AVIS: Boys & Reading

From: Ivan Van Laningham (ivanlan9@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Jul 2009

    Hi All--

    On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM, <mhall@berkeley.edu> wrote:

    >> At least one (male) reply to this topic has mentioned the importance of
    >> the cover in deciding whether or not to open a book.
    >
    > For those of us who are Robert E. Howard fans, this is the one thing
    > that gets thrashed out on the REH lists--the ancer paperback series with
    > the Frazetta covers. Looking back on it, I gotta admit, my discovery of
    > Howard and Burroughs occurred while Frazetta and Neal Adams were doing
    > paperback covers. At least with these two artists, they managed to capture
    > the action and adventure in the books with the art.

    The covers that hooked me on ERB's Martian series were the Ballantine ones:

    http://www.sffaudio.com/images08/librivoxaprincessofmars500.jpg

    (Image and title from the Ballantine PB, but the audio stuff was added on.)

    I eventually owned all the Ace books with the Frazetta/Krenkel covers, but the covers that made me look inside (at age 15 or 16, I think) were those Ballantine ones.

    However, that iconic _Conan the Barbarian_ cover from Lancer. ...

    http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/fantasy/images/FrankFrazetta-Conan-the-Adventurer-1966.jpg

    It hooked someone, all right, but not me. My ex-wife snatched that book off the rack so fast it caught fire. She wasn't ex at the time, of course. She took all the Conans with her when we divorced--and by that time there were a lot of them.

    I tried reading Conan, I really did. I couldn't make it through the first story: put me to sleep. But the covers that were supposed to appeal to the horny 19-year-old males also sometimes appealed to horny 19-year-old females. ;-)

    Metta, Ivan

    --
    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works