Re: RARA-AVIS: Boys & Reading...facts....?????????????????

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 27 Jul 2009

    All this sounds quite a fruitless discussion without facts...and is now bordering on the ridiculous... Iım sure that there are quantitative studies that have been done about this at major academic institutions...I know as a fact (!!) that some researchers at Stanford and Pen State (sociolinguistics in particular) have been involved in this in conjunction with/against Education Departments findings or teachings...but I donıt know more than that...please give us some hard facts...something we can sink our voracious and murderous teeth in...!

    Thanks in advance...

    Montois

    On 7/27/09 9:39 PM, "gsp.schoo@MOT.com" <gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com> wrote: Yeah, I've long suspected that to some extent the "boys don't read" observation is self-fulfilling. If a publisher comes to this conclusion, are they more likely to publish fiction for females to survive and profit? But when speculating about the effects of boys not reading books it is wrong to ignore other media. The article says boys have trouble understanding narratives and and don't appreciate fiction, but then says boys play videos, video games, and watch TV, narrative forms all. In these discussions literacy and literary are too often equated. Ironically, most of the names contributing to this list are male, and we're mostly about reading fiction after all, though I suspect that the appellation "boy" may need preceding by the word "old" (and certainly that preceded by the word "good") to be applicable here. Best, Kerry