RARA-AVIS: Gay Noir

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2009

    Brian wrote:

    > What's not to like?
    >
    > (removing tongue from cheek)

    Presumably your own. We wouldn't want the ghost of Cain to disapprove...

    Ah, the hell with him.

    Now that Joseph Hansen's gone, who are some the best writers of homosexual or gay-themed hard-boiled and noir out there? It's yet another niche category (besides urban fiction and over-the-top noir, to name two) that's grown steadily since the advent of POD and the the rise of the internet.

    I'm reading an ARC of Richard Stevenson's 38 MILLION DOLLAR SMILE, due out in November, and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit more than I expected. I hadn't read any of the books for a while, but his style is a lot tighter and tauter than I recall.

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Wasting your time on the web since 1998."