RARA-AVIS: "Blood Meridian," possible movie

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jul 2009

    After some research, I have learned that Ridley Scott backed out of the project with the opinion that the only way the film could work is as NC-17, if filmed as the book, and would show violence as pornography. (Paraphrased, but close.)

    In thinking about that, he may be right. The only way it can be done is if the result of the violence is shown without showing the violence itself.

    Even if done that way, I think they should pass on producing the movie; from everything I've seen all they really have is a script, a producer, and now a different director.

    I think as good a movie as "The Godfather" was it introduced to a broader society the concept of "disrespect," which is the cause of much of the gratuitous violence we see in society today.

    Now all we have to do is introduce the concept of scalping to a wider audience. There is more scalping in "Blood Meridian" than any fifteen Western movies set in the old west, and probably more scalping by non-American Indians than in all but a handful of Westerns so far.

    Jack Bludis

    Read, read, read. Write, write, write. http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis