Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: western vs noir, cowboy vs private eye

From: Bengt Eriksson / Media I Morron I Dag (bengt@mediaimorronidag.se)
Date: 10 Jul 2009

    Thanks again!

    James Crumley´s novels are both "tough and colloquial (hard-boiled), and dark and sinister (noir)", that´s what I thought and think as well. But other novels... then it´s not so easy, is it. There are a lots of crime novels I would describe as both och either "tough and colloquial" / "dark and sinister", but still I wouldn´t say that they´re both och either hard-boiled and noir.

    And, your are really sure that the noir label comes from "Serie Noire" och not film noir, in that order? The films and the series date back to about the same time, so can one be really sure? And who - then - exactly came up with the word, I mean the first time? Do you know, does anyone know?

    This has not much to do with my "essay" or whatever about James Crumley - I haven´t the format to write sooooo many words... - but you´ve got me interested...

    Bengt

    ----- Original Message ----- dark and sinister From: "JIM DOHERTY" <jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:27 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: western vs noir, cowboy vs private eye